Saturday 20 April 2013

The Life We Are Handed



The next day the term “full of disease” ran around my head. I tried not to let it interfere with my day but it was impossible not to worry.  My stomach started feeling rough. Was it just breakfast settling in or was it cancer advancing? I looked sick. My weight had dropped off to about 58 kg (128 pounds). Before I went to America I weighed about 63 kg (140lbs). I hadn’t weighed less than 130 pounds since university.
      Because bortezomib, also called velcade, was a newer drug, after my second shot the following week, the nurse told me they were interested in any side effects. I pulled up my shirt and showed them the brown patch at the injection site. The patch had gone from pink to bright red before it faded to look like a café au lait birthmark. They wanted a photo so I readied myself and sucked in my flab. But the nurse got distracted by a more pressing matter. She forgot about the photo, but she did return to deliver some blood results. She dropped the A4 computer sheet on the bed between me and Alex leaving us to decipher the numbers and initials. What caught my eye was written under the words: Blood Film. It said “thrombocytopenia is present”.
      “That looks bad.” (My yin)
      “The nurse said your blood results were good. You shouldn’t read everything.” (Alex’s yang)
      “Mmm hmmm.”
      On the menu today was also an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). Over about twenty minutes it would scan my body so the doctors could see my internal organs and bones. I had to lie on a narrow bed which was inserted in and out of a tube at a quick pace, reminiscent of the way you cleaned a flute. The technician talked to me through headphones but I couldn’t talk back. Instead a panic button was put in my left hand so I could alert the staff if I couldn’t take it anymore and wanted out. Unfortunately during one of the bed’s rapid thrusts towards the machine, the panic button was ripped out of my hand. I couldn’t sit up so I had to feel for it on the surface of the bed. After a few grasps at the sheet I still couldn’t find it so I was going to have to go the distance without an exit strategy. 
      I had to think of other things. The tube was extremely narrow and I wondered how it could accommodate an obese person. It was much smaller and thinner than the one they used on House. Maybe they had a hand-held version for those who couldn’t fit? It was so noisy and clumsy it was like being on an old wooden rollercoaster. I wondered if it was second-hand. The patients on House always looked so comfortable. I wondered if I could be a radiographer. The staff seemed to be nice and it might be fun to sit up in the booth and talk to patients through a microphone. It was probably a practical joke that the panic button was pressed into the patient’s hand then ripped out. They probably had a lot of fun in this department, winking and whispering:
      “There’s another one who won’t be able to panic!”
Before the procedure I had been chilly and requested a blanket. Twelve minutes into the procedure, with my head in the cramped tube, I was sweating.
      “Four more minutes” came through the headphones.
I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it. I thought about banging on the inside of the tube. Then whoosh the gurney moved out the other end of the machine and my head was in the cool air again. I was released, thanked the staff and rejoined Alex in the waiting room. We went home and sat talking over a cup of coffee trying to absorb the new life we had been handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment