Friday 7 June 2013

Abuse

Goodbye Keanu my multiple myeloma story



That same year Lewis killed a man with his car. Night after night men in black suits arrived and were ushered to the kitchen table to discuss things the rest of the children weren’t allowed to hear. My mother cried a lot but a deal was made and life carried on as usual. That was probably the night my brother decided to become a lawyer. He became adept at talking his way out of anything.
      If I spoke out against him it would only make my life more of a hell. One of his favourite stances was to corner me, his six foot something frame towering over me. Then he would start shouting insults and calling me names with bulging eyes and gritted teeth. “Dufus” was his word of choice for a long time. He is the only one I’ve ever heard use that word and it will forever be associated with him in my mind. It gives me chills just to write it here. If I did yell loud enough to bring my mother running he would claim it had all been my fault. He was good at lying so there was no point to trying to make my mother understand what really happened. She didn’t want to hear it anyway. She would yell at us both and Lewis would smile while I cried. So I shut up and endured. When Lewis went away to university that autumn, he never looked back, and those of us left behind breathed easier. He married young, at the age of 21 to a 19-year-old girl. My mother cried but I was relieved. He would be moving on permanently. I would never have to listen to his taunts or endure his abuse again.
      Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, being so outmatched by an older sibling made me turn on my younger brother Ben. He was three years younger and someone I could intimidate. I fought with him nearly every afternoon, verbally and physically, sometimes until we were both scratched and bleeding. But one day, as we both stood in the kitchen breathing heavily, bruised from a fistfight, faces red with anger, we grabbed weapons to up the stakes. I think it was a broom and a knife. We stood paused ready to do battle again. We knew it was either kill or quit. Somehow an unspoken détente set in. Lewis would have killed me. But Ben put down his weapon and we walked our separate ways. That was it. I didn’t want to fight anymore. I wanted to avoid anything that would create a fight. I was mentally defeated.
      The lasting result of living with Lewis is the need for peace. I hate arguments and raised voices. I cannot tolerate name-calling or verbal abuse of any kind. I told Alex early on if he ever called me a bad name I would leave him. He has respected that. It has also turned me into a people-pleaser. I learned to say what I thought people wanted to hear. I wouldn’t argue because arguing never got me anywhere in the past. I became a listener. I absorbed everyone else’s pain, listened to their complaints, sympathised with their bad days and never relayed my own stories. One evening Alex got into a heated discussion with a neighbour outside his house. I couldn’t hear much of it but I could hear Alex say “F*** you” in a loud voice before coming home.  Instead of being angry I was amazed because I have never been able to do that. In my whole adult life I have never sworn out loud at anyone. The closest I have come is some veiled threats behind the steering wheel with the windows rolled up. I fear retaliation too much. I told Alex I couldn’t do what he just did because I would worry that the neighbour would decide to come over and do some damage to me or my home. He said with complete confidence: “He’s not going to do anything.” I believed him. Well, mostly. But he was right. My years of growing up with Lewis had made me expect the worst and gave me little confidence. In my adult life I have always told people what I thought they wanted to hear so they wouldn’t get angry or start an argument. I have no doubt that from my rocky childhood, the inability to navigate anything but the smoothest of rides in life contributed to my inability to come clean with anyone about my disease. 


Goodbye Keanu at www.amazon.com/goodbye+keanu
 

No comments:

Post a Comment