Wednesday 19 June 2013

Birthday blues





April 26th I had to put my “schedule” and fears aside because it was Alex’s birthday. I made prawn cocktail and steaks. We finished with cake dipped in chocolate fondue and a bottle of champagne. We watched a dumb movie called The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. It was a nice evening. For a change we didn’t talk about blood diseases at all. At 1am, Alex fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I lay awake. I did not want to take a sleeping pill so I tried other tactics. I kept my eyes open and told myself it was alright to stay awake, hoping this reverse psychology would knock me out.  I tried feeling all my muscles one at a time and imagining them so heavy I couldn’t lift them. Finally I told myself to just appreciate that I was still doing well. In December I gave myself a week to live. I had seen Christmas and Easter. I had celebrated Charlotte, Abby and Alex’s birthdays. My birthday was in one week. I knew I was going to make it that far.
      On April 27th I had a “pre-chemo” check with the Auckland hospital registrar. He took my height and weight and did a physical exam to see if anything hurt. He said people who responded to the chemo did “very, very well” with the stem cell transplant. The whole idea he said, was to “buy more time” and that in recent years they had doubled the amount of time patients were living, compared to their previously expected mortality.
      “If you had got this (disease) ten years ago…” he started but didn’t finish that thought. He reiterated Dr Comfort’s message that there are many good drugs coming and the idea was to keep me in remission long enough to benefit. I wondered how long that would have to be and what my personal timeline was compared to the timeline for the new drugs being trialled.
      My 52nd birthday was on May 3rd. I woke up from a good sleep. In the kitchen there was a decorated chocolate cake from Alex. I got phone calls and texts from family and friends. I celebrated by getting a blood test. The technician asked me my date of birth as a form of identification then when she realised it was the same day, she gave me a sympathetic look.
      “It’s your birthday and you’re here? I hope you’re doing something fun this afternoon.” 
I was. I was going to pick Charlotte up from the airport. She was coming home for two nights. It was so wonderful to hug her again.
                After the brief respite, it was back to my schedule. I could already check off two blood tests and the pre-chemo check. On May 7th I was back at Auckland hospital for a heavy dose of the chemo drug cyclophosphamide which would help “mobilise” my stem cells to move into my blood stream. This was in preparation for the stem cell collection in about ten days’ time.  I was currently on 500mg of cyclophosphamide a week. On this day I would get 3450mg in one go. When I arrived in the haematology day stay, the nurse asked me if I needed to “soak”. I did not know what this meant. She took my shoulder shrugging for a “no” and asked me to sit on a bed. She began inserting a needle into a vein on the inside of my left wrist. But after trying to push it in, giving me excruciating pain, she decided it was not going to go in the vein far enough and pulled it out. She pointed to a row of metal sinks. I sat by one and watched as it was filled with hot water. I was to put both arms up to my elbows in the water and stay there for a few minutes. The hot water would cause the veins on my hands to pop out. This was the “soaking” she referred to earlier. Back on the bed, the IV was successfully introduced into the back of my right hand. I was initially given an IV bag of mesna for two hours. (Mesna reduces the side effects of cyclophosphamide).  The liquid felt ice cold and I began to shiver. Alex wrapped me in a blanket and the nurse brought me a hot flannel to lie on my hand. I was apprehensive when the IV bag of cyclophosphamide was hung next. I wondered if it would make me sick but I didn’t feel nauseous at all. I ate a banana, yogurt and sandwich and worked on my laptop while the chemo drug dripped into my body. It only took an hour, but added to the pre-chemo and post-chemo IV fluids, the whole exercise kept us in the hospital for six hours.
Before we left we were given lessons on injecting the GCSF which would have to start in five days’ time. GCSF stood for granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. The hormone stimulates the bone marrow to produce stem cells and release them into the blood. Between the cyclophosphamide and the GCSF I would hopefully have plenty of stem cells swimming around in my blood to collect.
The nurse brought out a tan rubber ball the size of a grapefruit, and a syringe. I obviously looked horrified because the nurse said:
      “Diabetic patients inject themselves all the time.” (Translation: You are being a complete coward)
      But she couldn’t shame me into thinking I could do it myself. Still I played along. I tried stabbing the ball with the practice needle. The needle went in easily but snagged on the rubber when I pulled it out. My skin crawled with imagined pain. Sensing my distaste, the nurse said:
      “It won’t get stuck like that in real life.”
Great! Then why were we practicing on a rubber ball? Shouldn’t we have a side of beef or something? I shook my head. Alex flexed and volunteered. He took the rubber ball from me and stabbed it four times. Then he said “I got it”. I clapped. He got the job. He was my hero.
      Our first GCSF injection day was the following Saturday. That morning Alex told me he had a dream that it was Saturday evening and we realised we had forgotten to give the first injection. So we both jumped out of bed and into action. He took a pre-filled syringe out of the fridge to warm for half an hour and I made tea. We sat there over breakfast, trying to have a normal conversation while the clock ticked the seconds away. I don’t know who was dreading it more. When the half hour was up we returned to the bedroom. I lay on the bed. Alex sat next to me. He carefully wiped my stomach with an alcohol pad, going around in circles from the middle out, just like the nurse instructed. His hands were shaking badly as he undid the GCSF packaging. The needle had to be attached to the top of the pre-filled syringe, but when he took the plastic packaging apart, the exposed needle fell on to the bed. We looked at each other.
      “Oh shit.” (In chorus)
      I opened another alcohol pad and carefully wiped the needle off. Then he inserted the needle into the drug vial and we were back in business. I pinched a handful of stomach fat, lay back and shut my eyes. I didn’t want to make him more nervous. There was only the slightest sting when the needle went in. When he removed it there was only a dot of blood at the site. I told him what a great job he did. I meant it sincerely. It hurt less than many of the velcade injections I had received and much less than that torturer at the blood lab. He did such a great job, I was so proud of him. It was a relief. We would both be more confident the next day after getting one under our belts. Alex philosophised:
      “Just another experience in our lives”.
      “Who’d have ever guessed we’d be doing this one day,” I agreed. It was totally surreal.
      The next morning I had a little anxiety that it went so well the first day it couldn’t possibly go so well again. But Alex delivered another successful shot. I thanked him and hugged him and was so glad to have someone to share a moment of this burden with.
      Meanwhile I was eating like I was on death row – not surprisingly. I had chocolate every day and wine every night. I was not exercising except for a weekend walk with Alex and I could feel the pounds piling on. I wasn’t the least bit worried though. I considered this couch potato phase well-deserved. My typical day was spent either looking up haematology vocabulary on the internet or watching TV. The two activities took place only metres from each other. I didn’t get addicted to any day time shows but I couldn’t get enough of any show with a cancer theme. There were plenty to choose from it turned out. The main character from Breaking Bad had lung cancer. I was sad when he coughed up blood and I cheered when his doctor’s visits went well. I felt like I had an ally in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment