Monday 10 June 2013

Returning Lewis to Oblivion




Goodbye Keanu my multiple myeloma story



Another three days went past and I still hadn’t received the information I needed from Lewis to give to the hospital. I had to ring my mother to get his home address and the name of his doctor. The next day I took thedetails to the haematology ward.    
      I sent my siblings the “allogeneic stem cell transplant” leaflet put out by the leukemia and blood foundation. I hoped it wouldn’t scare them off. It sounded like a big deal for the donor. Alex agreed that it sounded rough. The donor would have to endure needles and hours in the hospital. Sensing my frustration at having to put one of my siblings through an invasive procedure, Alex acquiesced.
      ”Of course it’s not too much to do for someone. Of course family would want to help.”
It was too late. A guilt complex was now piled on top of my heavy load. My sister absorbed the information in the leaflet and wrote:
     Hey there. Thanks for the information, oh my god.  How are you feeling about all this? I really can't imagine what it's like for you.  It sounds from your letter that the doctors are taking good care of you, and you said the prognosis was positive, and we know that you're strong, but suckety suck suck suck. I talked to Mom yesterday, and it went about as well as it could.  She just wants to support you in any way that she can. Love you lots, Holly & Chris.
      About ten days after I sent my original email out informing my siblings of my disease I received an email from Lewis. The email contained his email address (which I obviously already had) and phone number, nothing else. No home address as I had requested. It had no greeting and was signed with his name only. I looked back at the email I sent him with the “please and thank you”. It felt like I was on my knees in front of my enemy begging him to spare my life. I was sick to my stomach that I had to be subjected to this. I wrote to my sister for help to cope with these feelings.
      “I'm struggling being in this position with Lewis. The please and thank you I had to send felt really degrading.” She wrote: “I did wonder how that would feel.  I would struggle as well.  Look at it this way, here’s his chance to be a good brother.” 
      On February 2nd my sister allayed some of my guilt about asking her to be a donor. 
Chris saw the doctor yesterday for a few minor things, and asked him about the tissue typing and bone marrow extraction – I’m making up my own names for everything.  He said they’ve made great strides over the years in both the extraction and the transplant.  From what he told Chris, our end here sounds pretty simple. I was suddenly incredibly cheered by that one sentence: “He said they’ve made great strides over the years in both the extraction and the transplant.” I didn’t know why it cheered me so much, but it did and it was just the encouragement I needed. I knew she would do whatever she had to do to help me which was such a lovely feeling. I was very grateful and crossed my fingers that she was the match! Another email from my sister cheered me further:
      Hi there. Any news on your actual (hospital) date yet?  I would be nervous too.  I really do think you’ll do well; you’re mentally and physically strong.  Some numbers of folks do this every year successfully, so really, why shouldn’t you be one of them?  (Mom says you’re having an autogeneric transplant.)  If you do lose your hair, I think you should consider either wearing a Cher wig, long, straight & black, or affecting a pirate look – maybe without the eye patch, but definitely with the parrot.      I replied:
     You gave me a good laugh. I had been thinking about the "do I wear a wig or hide under the bed for three months" sort of thing so I appreciate any good ideas! I will let you know any firm dates when I do. Love you
     My sister became the daily liaison between my mother and myself. My mother did not have a computer and although I was phoning her once a month, my sister was relaying all the email conversations.  I appreciated her doing this and worried that she was getting the brunt of the emotion from both directions.
     During my 2011 trip to America, I stayed with Ben for a few days. He has progressive multiple sclerosis and is wheelchair bound. As the years go by he gets increasingly weaker. On this trip I noticed his hands had begun to be affected. He was no longer able to do up his buttons or use a pen. When I was back in New Zealand and had been diagnosed, we began to skype regularly. We now talked on a totally different level. We still talked about children, politics and weather. We still laughed a lot. But instead of being one healthy person talking to an invalid, we were both in the same pile of shit. We talked about the end of our lives. We compared notes about where we wanted to be when the end came. We talked about how we wanted it to happen and how scared we were that it might be lingering and not on our own terms. There was no pity, no need for words of comfort. We both knew we were in a race to the finish line. Unknown to me, Ben stopped taking his interferon as soon as he knew he could be a candidate as my stem cell donor. (Interferon is an immune booster which helps slow the progression of multiple sclerosis). He was worried the drug might interfere with the donor process. I worried for his health and was on tenterhooks about who would end up being my donor buddy. On May 10th I got great news. The haematology nurse emailed my sister and she forwarded it to me:


     Hi, Holly you ARE a match for your sister.
     My sister, bless her, was so excited she skyped me and was laughing and crying. She was delighted and so was I. It was a great moment. I didn’t have to worry about Ben’s choice between his own health and mine, and I didn’t have to have any more to do with my older brother. When my sister was confirmed as a match, my mother told Lewis not to even bother getting tissue typed. To my understanding he never did. He never contacted me again after that brief email with his phone number in it. He never once asked how I was.
     In spite of the relief of not having my older brother turn out to be my donor, and in spite of my adamant stance of never wanting to hear from my abuser again, there was a tiny glimmer of hope that he would take the opportunity of my demise to make amends. Just like my sister said: Look at it this way, here’s his chance to be a good brother. It was that odd in-built human optimism that told us everyone had a good person inside them trying to get out. Batman’s arch enemy, with a hit on the head, turned from King Tut to a mild-mannered history professor. The soul of a saint might be deeply buried because of a genetic aberration or a blunder of nature but it was still there. It just needed the right switch to turn it on. The potential death of a sibling should have lit up his conscience like a firestorm. I actually had a small but compelling expectation that his soul would suddenly burst like a blister and out would pour all of the nurturing love and compassion that had been missing for a lifetime. Instead my brother chose to ignore me and my predicament. He was never going to be sorry for what he did to me. The essence of affection and piety within him remained untouchable; maybe it even entombed itself deeper. I wanted to stop being his victim but it would never end. I had to tell myself it didn’t matter. I had to seal him in the deep, dark corner of my brain that he crawled out of. I had to concentrate on feeling lucky it wasn’t him that was the match.
Meanwhile I saw the toll my disease took on my sister. In June she sent me a photo of herself and her husband in knight’s chainmail at some place they stopped on a holiday. The chainmail covered their heads as well as torso. I wrote her a cheerful email saying I had lost most of my hair and maybe I should go there and get suited up. The email I got back was a surprise:
     Oh no, not your lovely curls.  I would be BULLSHIT at cancer.  I would want to F*** cancer up.
     I had never heard my sister swear like that before. There was so much anger in it. Whenever we skyped it was loving and sad. She had tears sometimes but mostly we laughed and comforted each other. I never saw this simmering storm that was obviously just below the surface. I now saw what my disease was doing to her. I had given her an emotional nightmare to deal with. I felt bad for telling her about my bald head. She was enraged. I promised myself not to tell her anything else like that.
     In March, less than two months after I wrote the email telling my family about my disease, Dr Comfort told me I would be having an autologous transplant. My own stem cells would be removed and re-infused so I had no need of a donor at this stage. It was a relief in one way as the logistics of getting my sister’s stem cells from America to New Zealand had not been worked out. But mostly it angered me. For two months I had been an emotional wreck and put my family through hell for what seemed to be no reason. Holly and Ben had raced to get tissue-typed on my behalf. Ben had stopped his interferon in case I needed him as a donor. I had given Lewis an opportunity to make amends and was angry all over again that he could be so selfish and uncaring. I had dredged up all the old hurt and it made me ache like a punch in the throat. I wanted to demand the allogeneic transplant because planning for it had disrupted my life so much that I felt cheated that it wouldn’t happen.
  In July I had the autologous transplant. Then it was a waiting game. If my cancer returned the allogeneic transplant was still an option. Now that I had a sibling that matched, it could be a good option. I just had to wait and see.
    A year after my diagnosis and eleven months after sending him an email, I heard nothing from Lewis or his wife. Not a word. The process of returning him to oblivion is ongoing but I will get there.





Goodbye Keanu at www.amazon.com/goodbye+keanu

No comments:

Post a Comment