Monday 8 July 2013

A Fat Rat




On May 7th as promised, I was hooked up to an IV to receive 3450 mg of cyclophosphamide in an hour. It didn’t hurt or make me nauseous. While the toxic liquid dripped into my veins, I ate a sandwich and yogurt and chatted with Alex. But because I had no definitive answer on when I would start to lose my hair, I surreptitiously tugged at the ends every ten minutes to see if it was coming loose. I turned my head to check my shoulders to see if my split-ends had fallen away. I checked the pillow for stray locks. But except for the odd filament, my curly hair remained steadfastly attached to me and I was never more attached to it. 
      Two weeks later, I still had not lost any noticeable amount of hair. Then one morning I stood under a hot shower and shampooed as usual. When I took my hands away from my head there were strands of hair weaved between my fingers. It felt like I had put both hands into a huge spider web. I pulled the hair off my hands and watched it sail towards the drain. I conditioned and rinsed and twice more my fingers were webbed with my hair. It completely filled the holes in the drain so that the water started to back up forming a pond under my feet. I reached down and scooped up the fibres. There was enough to fill one palm. I threw it across the bathroom into the designer silver trash bin. It stuck to the side of the plastic bag which kept the designer bin from getting dirty but hid the need to have a designer bin. It looked like a tarantula. I held a moment of silence for its passing. I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror expecting to see a bald spot somewhere but I could not detect the difference.  I gingerly combed my wet hair but when strands rapidly filled the teeth I gulped and stopped combing.
      There was no way to stop it now. With each shower and each styling, my hair thinned so much that when I looked in the mirror I saw my mother.  My transformation from the healthy, young-looking fit person I was a year earlier was almost complete. I was sick, constipated, old and bald.
      Three days later we went on a motorcycle ride with friends to New Plymouth. I had paid for the accommodation weeks earlier and was committed to the venture. The ride would be about four and a half hours. When we stopped for lunch I took my helmet off. A hundred hairs stayed behind, stuck to the cushioned black interior. Every time I removed my helmet, I left a gift of my hair in cafes and service stations along the route. When we got to the lodge in New Plymouth I showered and instead of a few hundred hairs, the drain looked like a fat rat was sitting on top of it. I didn’t say anything to Alex but after I dressed I blew my hair dry. A round pile of hair blew away from my head past Alex like a small bird. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked at the bird, now demised and laying on the bed, then at me. I shrugged my shoulders and spoke quietly:
      “My hair is falling out”.
      “Is it? I was hoping you had bypassed that.”
      “So was I.”
      “I thought since it hadn’t happened already it might not.”
      “So did I.”
      “I didn’t know how long it would take to start falling out.”
      “Me neither.”
We stood for a moment with the metre distance between us feeling like a hundred. Neither of us knew what else to say. I took the bird and buried it in the trash with the rest of the hair. I looked in the mirror and fluffed what was still attached to my skull to make it look fuller before we had to meet our friends for dinner. I was self-conscious all evening but I held on until midnight before retiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment