Tuesday 23 July 2013

The Rollercoaster Continues...

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Keanu-multiple-myeloma-ebook/dp/B00CB87K8Y


      It worked. Christmas was a happy time. I still had doctor’s visits and blood tests but as soon as I came home I pushed those out of my mind. We made our traditional Christmas Eve turkey dinner and pulled crackers. We opened presents and drank wine. On New Year’s Eve we went into Auckland and watched the fireworks from the Sky Tower. Abby went back to San Francisco at the end of the first week in January and Charlotte started job hunting. Alex went back to work and 2013 began as if 2012 never happened. I wished it hadn’t.
         I will finish my last cycle of velcade at the end of February 2013. After that I will see the doctor and have blood tests less often, as long as they are good. Dr Comfort assured me that the cancer wouldn’t come back in a day. He will monitor my protein level and if it begins to go up, a sign the cancer is progressing, a team of doctors will discuss the best option for me. It may be more drugs, or a last ditch allogeneic transplant. But whatever course I am put on, I am not confident in a second chance. The best prognosis I have seen is still only a few years. From my experience, every time cancer “returns” it is fatal. I know it is only a grace period. I know Dr Doom won’t be expecting me to live much longer.
       So the rollercoaster continues. I am still at the top of the hill looking down, still inching my way towards the bottom. I dedicate this story to all those who have fallen before me. I’ll see you soon. 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
 LOOK FOR MY NEW BLOG. WatchingStrandRiver.blogspot.co.nz. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just stopped by and had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete