Thursday 11 July 2013

My Wig and Me




We were invited to the Smith’s for dinner. Because they knew about my disease I thought wearing the wig would just be phony and ridiculous. I dragged Alex and Charlotte to the Warehouse to try on scarves. Since I was in my favorite woolly hat with a bald head underneath, I needed models. I picked out a black scarf with a leopard design in orange and purple. It sounds awful but it looked great on Charlotte and not so good on my husband. I thought it would look somewhere in between on me so I bought it. At home I had second thoughts about the scarf and went back to the wig. I tried it on for Charlotte who hadn’t seen me in it yet.
      “It looks good.”
That was enough. I trusted her opinion and opted for the wig. When Mrs Smith opened the door she put her hands to her cheeks in happy surprise.
      “Your hair looks fantastic”.
I wanted to, but I couldn’t claim the hair that came from the Gabor collection as my own.
      “It isn’t my hair.”
      “It’s a wig?” (whispering)
      “Yes.”
Except for the need to whisper, test number three was ticked off the list. One of my best friends was fooled. I know there are people who think I am ridiculous. They wouldn’t hide who they had become. They would have walked through town with a boldly shining bald pate not caring who stared or made comments. They would sit at dinner with friends talking about chemotherapy and constipation. But for me it was a huge step just to go outside my door as the cancer patient I didn’t want to be.
      When my good friend Sarah sent me an email invite to a “fashion night” I imagined an oversized hairdresser with blonde tips running her fingers through my plastic headdress and telling me I needed conditioner before the whole thing fell off at her pudgy feet. I didn’t know whether to tell Sarah the truth or a big fat lie. I considered sending a text pretending I had gone back to America to babysit a very slowly recovering aunt. (I didn’t want to kill my aunt off, even fictitiously). But I couldn’t stay in America at my aunt’s bedside for six months. So I sucked it up and told her a half truth. I admitted to the chemo which made my hair fall out, but I didn’t admit to having cancer. Her reaction was kind. She didn’t ask any difficult questions. She just said she was there for me. I went to bed thinking maybe I could get through this.
      But the wig had other ideas. Thinking I had conquered it, I determinedly wore it. Alex took me and the hairpiece to the movies one afternoon and then to the pub. After a couple of beers I was having a great time. Alex, the bartender and the other patrons seemed to think I was the friendliest person they had met in a long time. When I went to the toilet I found out why. In the mirror I could see that my wig had shifted backwards. I had a permanent happy look, like a clown wearing one of those little green hair mops. My forehead was twice as high as normal and glowing. I could see myself looking back at me in the shiny skin. I shifted the wig forward and stepped back out into the bar. After another beer I was feeling happy again, although I now looked more solemn than friendly.
      It was disconcerting but easily forgotten. Unfortunately it was only the beginning. A major wig meltdown was to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment