Thursday 18 July 2013

Thalidomide





Thalidomide was developed in the 1950s and marketed as a mild sedative. It reduced morning sickness so it became popular with pregnant women. Then it was discovered the drug caused babies to be born with malformed limbs and consequently it was banned in 1961. But it didn’t completely go away. In the 1990s studies indicated that thalidomide might inhibit the growth and survival of myeloma cells. The combination of thalidomide and dexamethasone is now a common regime for patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. To be eligible to receive thalidomide, I had to sign a form indicating I could not get pregnant, nor would I give the drug to someone who could potentially get pregnant. Because of the high incidence of blood clots associated with thalidomide, I was also prescribed 100mg of aspirin daily.
      I found a list of thirty-four side effects of thalidomide and those are only the ones that affect the nervous system. There are also side effects to the hematologic, immunologic, dermatologic, metabolic, gastrointestinal systems and more. But the one that affected me the most, as usual, was constipation. It was worse than ever. So I was back to carrying a bowling ball in my stomach most of the time. At the end of my first cycle on thalidomide I was so constipated I looked pregnant. No, I looked more than pregnant I looked like octo-mom. For the first time ever in my life, when I put a shirt on, the material pulled hard away from the buttons as it stretched around my waist, like trying to put clothes on a pumpkin. It made me feel sick and tired and ugly. I was prescribed three different types of laxatives but in spite of trying them separately and all together, doubling the dose and increasing my exercise, I still got no relief. In five days I would be lucky to pass anything more than the size of a peanut. I added some over the counter dulcolax and a liquid enema without much relief. So I turned to colonic hydrotherapy. In this therapy a tube injects water into the colon through the rectum. I took four sessions from mid-November to mid-December. It is not something I ever thought I would do and it is not something one speaks about at dinner. The therapist who helped me with my “session” said when she explained what her job was to others their first reaction was “euw”. It was that sort of thing. But it helped. So except for ironically looking pregnant all the time and having to wear stretchy pants, I was fine. I mean I couldn’t complain really considering the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment