Saturday 20 July 2013

Days Away From Christmas Too





I am writing this exactly two weeks before Christmas 2012. I remember everything about last Christmas as if it happened yesterday. I remember how happy I was to be alive on Christmas Day but how sad I was that the holiday had been all but destroyed because of my diagnosis. I remember lying on that hospital bed, unable to stop crying until they gave me a general anaesthetic so they could take the bone marrow biopsy. I remember telling Abby the bad news, composing the letter to my sister in a Wellington hotel room, crying all the time and preparing the paperwork for my death.
      The year 2012 never happened for me. It was like I was in a giant bubble floating above the world. In the bubble I was this other person, crazy, sad, bald, detached and disappearing. I was an alter ego, a ghost of myself. The whole year was about this body which had suddenly become foreign to me. It was a medical experiment, worked on by strangers while I could do nothing but watch. I didn’t participate in the world in 2012 I lived parallel to it, attached to the earth by the thinnest of wires. I learned first-hand about the underground life of the chronically sick. Going into this world was like stepping through the looking-glass. The clocks seemingly turned but time stood still. Waiting rooms were filled with women in wigs, no one talking above a whisper. Day stays with ten people in chairs and beds, on a variety of drips and medications, everyone in a battle for their lives. In hospital, children suffered while parents comforted them in their arms. Women spent half their year in the same bed surrounded by reminders of home. Men were so thin their age was indeterminable. Older people greeted each other with genuine surprise and delight as if they didn’t know who would make it to the next week. Patients cowered in their rooms while doctors and nurses patrolled the corridors dispensing medication and advice. It was a world I never saw myself a part of, but like Alice I tumbled into it and I couldn’t climb out.

No comments:

Post a Comment