Sunday 14 July 2013

The End?




For me, fear is a much bigger battle to overcome than needles and chemotherapy. The effects of medication are short-lived, the terror is never-ending. It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I’m afraid of dying. I am afraid that the act of departing will be drawn out, painful and humiliating, but worse, that it will be ugly. I don’t want to become the ghost of my former self lying on a bed, tubes hanging out of me, my family exhausted from keeping vigil. I don’t want tears or maudlin goodbyes. I don’t want to see the doctor shaking his head sadly.
      I want my family’s last picture of me to be from holiday photos, where I am tanned and smiling, not of a weak, thin, pasty-faced victim. Everyone hopes they will be heroic to the end. I don’t care if I die like a whimpering puppy, I just don’t want to look like crap.
      My diary entries for the past year were often self-pitying. My attitude had been poor on many days. Negative research and pessimistic comments sent me into a whirlpool that threatened to drown me. Some days I felt that my life had no meaning, that my story was not worth telling.
      But the human spirit is a remarkable mechanism. From the depths of despair we claw our way towards the light. I learned that if I could dig down and uncover a positive attitude from my set of emotional drawers, I could wrestle control back over whatever was left of my life. Sometimes I had to move a lot of sweaters and underwear, but way in the bottom, in the corner of the drawer there would be a bit of sunshine. I just had to remember it was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment