Friday 19 July 2013

Floating on a River

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Keanu-multiple-myeloma-ebook/dp/B00CB87K8Y


The other prominent side effect was fatigue. I would take the thalidomide at night before going to bed as you couldn’t eat for an hour prior to taking the drug. But the next morning at 9am I was sound asleep still. It would take me hours in the morning to get going. Usually by lunchtime I felt like I could take on what was left of the day. Without getting much done, I would be ready for sleep again by midnight.
      To forget my body problems I needed to get into a better space mentally. I went to a spiritualist church service with my best friend. I am not a new age sort of person and it was the first time I ever really opened myself to this experience. After a song, it was time for healing. They made a circle of chairs in the centre of the room and invited those that wanted to be healed to sit there. My friend encouraged me to go but I was already on my feet. I sat in a chair and shut my eyes while my healer put her hands on my back. I felt her rub my back a couple of times then didn’t know what she was up to. I think she must have been putting her hands over my head but since I had my eyes closed I wasn’t sure. I imagined her pulling the cancer cells from my body through my skin and out into the air. Like bubbles rising into steam in a boiling pot of water. Whether it is possible or not, it was a great image. It was about the most relaxing ten minutes I had had in a very long time. A speaker got up and did some readings. She pointed to a woman in the audience and told her what a great healer she was and how much love was emanating from her. I nudged my friend and said “that’s my healer”. I was very proud.  We closed our eyes and during a ten minute meditation the speaker told us a tale about floating down a river. I was extremely relaxed, almost sedate. I loved the image of floating on the river and the feeling of power the healer bestowed on me.        
      I had to find a way through each day with the shadow of a noose hanging over my head. Because there was no cure for my disease, there was only one way for this story to end really. It was just a matter of how long it would take to kill me.


No comments:

Post a Comment